Sunday, May 16, 2010

Polishing the Bullet - Day 2

Day 2 - May.3.2010
Kathy had a tough day teaching, so she wasn't as "into" polishing today. But when I showed our work to my mother-in-law, she became very excited about the project, and insisted on helping.

"Well, go change your clothes then!"


Let me tell you, she's such a good, hard little worker. She has that attention to detail that I need in an assistant. I ran the polisher, and she came by afterwards to remove the grit and grime, and hand polish the areas I could not get with the machine.

Oma and I kept busy, repolishing the areas Kathy and I had previously worked. I decided a second round was necessary, as I knew I could get a brighter, more mirror-like shine. If you compare this image to the previous one, you can see (if you have a trained eye with an affinity for detail) that the skin is beginning to shine brightly.

Meanwhile, Kathy enjoyed watching us work while relaxing on the front porch stoop. Trust me, it was a perfect option. Oma was able to get into the little nooks and crannies while I was able to buff the larger portions. She never rested, but kept herself busy looking for odd-shaped pieces to focus on.
Here is the front door, from the day before.



















And the front door, with 4 rounds of polishing. Another 3 or 4 rounds, and it will be mirror-bright like the other panels.




So far we have logged 8 man-hrs. on the project (2 days, 2 hrs/day, 2 persons).

No comments: