Saturday, June 9, 2007

Day 10

Very productive day. Jeff worked hard to finish the mechanical rough-in and pipe the double-wall exhaust out thru the roof. Yea! We're no longer breathing the carbon-monoxide fumes. :-) The rest of us (Bruce, Nate, Bill, and Me) worked to get the interior walls framed. Things went pretty smooth for us. DIY was there to film us whacking away at the nails. We [I] screwed up one wall, which they were a bit too eager to film for me....too many "so what went wrong?" questions! :-) It's all good. We fixed the wall and managed to get most of the second floor roughed-in.

I think Nate had a good time today. I tought his the fine are of framing walls. Swinging the hammer and pounding nails. By the end of the day he had honed in a bit on his skills. Give him a few more houses to frame (and a few more 2x4's to hold in place) and he'll be set!

Nate's been a great help for us this summer and we're very glad he chose to come out and stay with us. And he's been a workhorse!

P.S. Nate wante me to add a note: "Mom and Dad, please send money for a new hammer. I seem to have outgrown my "Jack" hammer. Jeff and Aaron keep making fun of the noise it makes. Also, can you send my utility knife so I can quit hogging Aaron's all day. I think he's starting to suspect that I've swiped his. Mine's on my dresser, next to the lamp."


We still have quite a bit of back-out framing left to do, but at least now I can get my plumbing and electrician moving on their stuff so that we can drywall the walls starting next week.

This image may look like a random bunch of sticks thrown into the space, but what you are looking at is the header for our 5-foot wide antique pocket doors that will serve as our entrance into the bedroom. That wood header weighed quite a bit -- took four of us to lift into place!






Here you see the beginnings of our master shower (right door) and reading room (toilet room, left door).









This window will rest above our fireplace mantel, which we will frame for DIY network next weekend. Wait 'til you see this area when it is finished!










Here you are looking at the inside view of our bedwall and the Pella windows that I raved about in my previous blog entry. They are gorgeous windows, inside and out, and I can't wait to move into the space and begin enjoying the room!





Tired. Very tired. Have a great night!

No comments: