Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 24 - Kenpo

Have I told you how much I really like the Kenpo? It's a fun blend between kickboxing, boxing, and karate class. You really get a great workout, it's only an hour long, and lot's of cardio and toning exercises.

I'm really digging the P90X experience. As I was working out, I kept admiring the tone and definition in my shoulders. I think right now that's where it's the most noticeable. Oh, I'm also getting this really cool dimple on the side of my stomach. Either side of the fat deposit up front. I think the muscle group is called the "external obliques".


Anyways, I'm starting to see the muscles get more exposed, so that tells me that the fat deposits that were previously hiding my obliques has been severely minimized! BTW - next time you see me, feel free to take a shot at my obliques. They're rock hard, almost steel-like. Only a few friends have actually taken the opportunity to strike me with a full-force punch. I feel like some silly frat boy walking around going, "Hey, wanna hit me as hard as you can? Go for it. Do it!" But on the otherside, it's fun to finally have the strength back in my core to warrant the party trick.

I was talking with some friends last night. It's amazing how different people get different things out of this P90X. They were lamenting about how much they HATE the yoga. I actually like it. Well, as much as you can enjoy a one-and-a-half hour long torture session. But like everything else, I feel like the yoga is giving me more strength, more stamina, and great results with my body. I guess the bottom line is this: P90X can give you whatever you are looking for. I entered the program not knowing where it would take me. I was optimistic about the journey, and thus far am happy with the results.

Except for one thing: my weight. I entered the program because I was stuck around 190lbs. I thought that doing the P90X would get me down to fluctuating between 180-185lbs. But sadly, my weight has fluctuated between 186-192lbs. Uggggg. But there are a few saving graces. My pants are fitting better, so this tells me that I'm losing weight. I look better in the mirror (I find myself flexing quite often at night, when I'm alone :-) I've improved from being able to do 12 pullups to 80. EIGHTY PULLUPS!!! And I've removed a measurable 1/4" of stomach fat. So I know that my higher weight is most likely a result of new muscles. And I can FEEL the strength on my body, in my core. So I know that the higher weight is okay, since I'm actually doing better things for my body now.

That's all. Ciao!

p.s. Speaking of "Ciao", we watched a terrible movie last night. "The American" with George Clooney. Boy was that movie S-L-O-W! I watched 1/3 of the movie in fast forward, to get past the terrible cinematography. People told me that the movie was worth it for the ending. Nope. Sorry. It reminded me of the movie, "The Departed", where everyone dies at the end, which left me wondering, "Why did I waste my time watching this movie?" Yep. That's how I felt last night.

George Clooney - I want 1.5hrs. of my life back, please!

No comments: